Saturday, April 25, 2009

Saturday Evening Post

It's been a busy weekend and it is not even finished yet. But tomorrow is the Sabbath. I've done my cooking tonight, just to ensure that it truly is a day of rest. We will be feasting on shrimp and garlic potatoes, french bread, deviled eggs, and chocolate silk pie. YUM! Now, I like to cook my most elaborate meals for Sunday lunch, but this is more than usual, and my miserliness rarely allows me to spring for shrimp, but we have cause to celebrate. In addition to our risen Lord, we will be commemorating TWO MORE PIECES UP ON OUR DEBT SNOWBALL!!!! The kids are really getting excited, because the poster is over half-way back together. Cinderella is no longer dissected and Mulan and most of Belle are smiling from the wall. Unfortunately, I did not cut the pieces "to scale." They are all roughly the same size regardless of the amount owed. We are now to the BIG DADDY debts. I can't think too much on it, or I will depress myself--for now it is enough to know we are two steps closer to our elusive goal.
Tonight we kicked 'ole Sallie Mae to the curb. It irked me to no end paying on a student loan for ONE STINKING SEMESTER...NINE YEARS AFTER GRADUATION....FOR A DEGREE I DON'T EVEN USE. And doesn't look like I will be using any time soon. I went to yet ANOTHER job fair today. No good vibes. At most of the tables I asked what positions they would be filling for the next school year and the answers were something to this effect: "None that we know of...." "We have one position in third grade..." "You can leave a resume if something comes open that meets your qualifications..." BAH! I have no idea why districts put on these elaborate, expensive job fairs, if they aren't planning on hiring a considerable number of personnel. So much for my "fall back" degree.
We camped on Friday. The kids had a good time. Cara did not. I had to bail on the tent camping experience once again to bring a fussing baby home to their own crib. You'd think I'd learn by now. Luckily, we were close to home and my midnight drive only lasted an hour. Pictures--of the fun, not the fussing--coming soon.

4 comments:

Carla said...

Congratulations on becoming better Dave Ramsey-ites! You may not get paid for using your degree right now but Jess, seriously, you've used it almost everyday I know. Your kids are brilliant, aren't they? Admit your degree came in handy in fostering that aspect of their lives.

CDJ said...

ditto on the brilliant kids...

You might want to do a new puzzle where every piece equals $100 or something. Then you can put pieces up more often and not get discouraged. Go a head and figure up what you've already paid off and put those pieces up immediately. Just a thought...

Can't wait to see the camping photos!

Tami said...

You guys are kicking debt butt! That's awesome! Hopefully we'll soon be able to join you. I'm hoping to be able to post something tomorrow that will fill everyone in on what's been going on with us. I'm going to send you a preview tonight.

Deb said...

Congratz on the debt going away. That's wonderful and great inspiration.

And great to hear about the house by the way. So glad they offered a price you could handle to buy it.