Saturday, April 4, 2009

Barbie Birthday


Marina turned five years old on Thursday. I can't believe it. FIVE YEARS OLD! How is that possible? We had her party today. Here she is with her Barbie cake. It only took me three tries before I got one that I could work with. I couldn't tell if she was pleased with or not. Marina is all about the presents at a party. The cake? She can take it or leave it. We also had a sheet cake to feed the crowd. Even in a hoop skirt, Barbie doesn't go very far.
This was our first BIG gathering in the new house. It was nice to have space for everyone.
We marched around her with the cake, just like they do in Russia. We sang in English (I have no idea what or if they sing in Russia), but I'm glad I remembered to acknowledge her birth country in some way. Every other year I've forgotten. Grandma even found a bi-lingual Russian/English story-book of traditional Russian folk tales. A touch of the motherland among a pile of lip gloss, Pretty ponies, Barbies, OP clothes, and Littlest Pet Shop bubble bath. Only in America.

4 comments:

Tami said...

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Marina! Sounds like an absolutely wonderful day. Hey! I didn't know about the marching around them with the cake. I'm going to have to add that to our celebration (Alek has a birthday coming up in May). We do pie the night before because its already their birthday in Russia/Ukraine.

Kathy said...

She is beautiful!!! Happy Birthday Marina! You do amazing work with cakes - I do not have that gift.

Suz said...

Oh happy birthday Marina!! I cannot believe she is already 5 years old!

Deb said...

Great cake. Happy birthday!