Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Death of a Dream and Would-be Attackers Beware

Kids were enthusiastically cleaning the bathroom yesterday morning. When I announce to them that they are having red beans and rice for lunch they cheerfully reply, "Oh, yum, Mom that sounds great!" and "We loooooove beans and rice!" I even got a pleasant smile from Ian, who hates beans. Something was definitely fishy, but I kept quiet, and sure enough, the mystery was soon solved--

K:Mom, I can't wait for you to start the daycare.
Me: Oh?
K: Yeah, Dad was telling us about how when you have the daycare and we say, "Can we go to Splash Kingdom?" He will say, "Sure." And then later, when we get hungry, he will say, "Why don't we head over to Chuck-E-Cheese?"
Me: quiet chortles, shaking my head

It is all making sense to me now

K: growing uneasy What?
Me: K, it sounds to me like your daddy was feeding you a line of bull to get ya'll to help out with a good attitude this morning. The daycare will certainly help us with finances, but I seriously doubt we will have cash for that kind of extravagance for a very long time. Maybe never.
Abby: I knew it was too good to be true!
K: grumbling to himself I smell a revolt.

**************************************

And just today:

Abby: Mom, do you want to know what I have in my purse?
Me: What?
Abby: Oh, lots of girlie things...rummaging around in handbag....cell phone, lipgloss, fingernail polish, notepad...and a gun.

1 comment:

ArtworkByRuth said...

Love the attitude adjustments! It's our motivator too for me going back to work full time, things will be easier right? I love the purse story! Every girl should have her own gun?