Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day One

We are one day in our 21 day detox/diet. It is a pretty radical program--you may have heard it called "The M*rtha's Viny*rd Detox." Family and friends who have caught wind of our plan, have all asked us, "Why?" For obvious reasons, we need to diet. The master is at 200 pounds now, the heaviest he has been in his life. While excess weight is not healthy for anyone, it is especially taxing on the bones for someone with his condition. His dad made me promise on our wedding day, that I would not let him become obese, and I always keep my promises. For my part, I have gained the 25 pounds back that I lost two years ago in W*ight W*tchers. It crept up S-L-O-W-L-Y the first 18 months, because I really did incorporate many healthy, sensible eating habits into my life while working the plan. But when Cara was born, and I spent three weeks eating hospital food (which, why on earth, is HOSPITAL food so unhealthy?) and McDonalds, I went into a downward spiral. I've packed on 15+ pounds since June. This calls for drastic measures. I could go back to W*ight W*tchers--I loved that program, and it is an effective, healthy way to lose weight. But the master could not go to meetings with me, it is more expensive, and you have to be extremely motivated to stick with the plan for the long haul. I am just not there. I need to see results RIGHT NOW. I chose this program, because not only do you lose weight, you put your body through a total cleanse. In three weeks, I should have the same weight loss that would represent four months of point counting with WW. The master and I will not be chewing for 21 days. The idea is to let you digestive system rest, so that the body can focus on purging fat and toxins from the body. Water, fruits, herbs, teas and veggies only. No starches, carbs, meat, dairy--nothing that tastes good.
Those of you who know me, know that I hate vegetables. I don't eat them. Never have. I can't stand the texture. Well, that is not a problem, now, because everything is either juiced or pureed. Today, I've consumed more vegetables than my entire life put together--with the exception of infancy, because I'm sure my mom fed me well. I've also experienced the nastiest tastes of my life--Kubacha. It's a fermented Chinese tea. Don't go there. Ever.
Surprisingly, I have not been hungry. I thought I would be ravished, but you have to consume one of your green drinks, juices, or teas every two hours, and they either fill you up and/or are so disgusting, that your appetite is definitely suppressed.
Tomorrow we juice!

5 comments:

Tami said...

Hmmmm...I'm going to be anxiously watching this one. I absolutely abhor vegetables. Its pretty much green beans and corn for me...so it will be interesting to see how miserable you become. (Sorry...but you fascinate me. Its nice to finally 'know' someone else who has as much against vegetables as I do. ;) If you can do it, maybe I'll give it a try. I'll be cheering from the sidelines for the next 21 days! :)

Megan said...

o my....

Glad it's you and not me. I do not do well with weird textures and especially nasty tasting things. GAG ME!!!

Hope everything goes great!

ArtworkByRuth said...

Yum!(NOT!) We are going on the Ukrainian travelers diet and hope the exercise and lack of preservatives will help! Let's compare at the end okay?
I did stick with a low carb diet for two years and kept off the 25 pounds I lost...just have a lot more to go!
tee-hee My word verification is "Muchadu" As in "Much Ado About Nothing...:

Mike and Gail said...

Hello,
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. What is in your drink? DETOX!! That is a good thing. My husband and I did that before with supplements. It works.
check out www.rawfoodcoach.com
Lots of great things on there.

The drink we are consuming is as well suppose to help us loose weight. There are 3 of us doing this in the house. But you still eat. Our drink consist of spinnach, more greens,tomatoe juice,lemon juice, and the kicker is cayenne pepper. You drink it first thing in the morning and enjoy the rest of the day with nice healthy choice. So No PIZZA.. LOL... :D MY down fall...

Leslie said...

I'm intrigued! I don't know that I could go 21 days though. I would like to think I could, but I doubt I'd have the will power.