Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day Eight

We are just over one third of the way through this diet. I have lost 9 pounds, and the master is holding at 11 1/2 pounds. I'm starting to wonder if this is any cheaper than W*ight W*tchers, or not. Fresh berries and veggies are EXPENSIVE. So are the supplements and teas. And we consume them like crazy. It may come to this: our bulge or our budget?
Tami commented that by now, she would be screaming for her chocolate. I thought I would be that way, but this diet is different. I set my mind to do this diet or die trying, all the while certain I would be bed ridden by day 2. For, when it comes right down to it, we are actually participating in a kind of fast--something I never thought I could do. I am a person who LOVES food, and I felt I couldn't do without it. Of course, as humans, I realize we can't live without nourishment over time, but I thought I couldn't go a day--a meal--without eating. I got cranky, had headaches, if lunch was so much as an hour late. Long ago, I self-diagnosed myself as hypoglycemic, and I used that (flimsy) excuse for not fasting for spiritual reasons. Over the past week, I've discovered what I really am is addicted. I am addicted to food. "Hello, my name is Jessica S_____, and I'm a foodaholic." This is both a humbling and liberating experience. For the first time in my adult life, food has no hold over me. W*ight W*tchers preached this, but I understand now that I never Incorporated the idea into my belief system: food is fuel. We make it to be so many other things--comfort, entertainment, pleasure, tradition, habit, vice, love, etc.--but it is only fuel. And in reality, our bodies need very little of it.
Update of strange phenomenon: This detox is supposed to bring on strong emotions. "As your body sheds toxins it will also release negative feelings from your system." But again, I didn't look for that to happen. Sounded like a bunch of new age hocus-pocus to me. However, I must report an emotional tsunami, but not, thankfully, during waking hours. I awoke twice this week from dreams literally sobbing, my pillow soaking wet from tears. This has only happened to me once or twice in adulthood and only when I'm pregnant. (I'm not, by the way. Snip, snip, doctor took care of that.) Another night, I woke from a dream in a red-hot, completely non-sensical RAGE. Weird stuff.

3 comments:

Tami said...

Hmmm...that is odd. I have to say, I'm proud of you. Its awesome that you're making this work...and its even more awesome how much weight you and the Master are losing.
I need to do something. I'm still not sure I could pull this off...I am an incredibly picky eater...so what I really need to do is start working on the premise that food=fuel. And start drinking more water. ;>)

ArtworkByRuth said...

Maybe that is how you are burning extra calories by having vivid dreams? I did the Atkins diet for two years. After the two week induction diet you slowly add back carbs-also a fast of sorts to detox. The first time I craved sugar. The second detox time I craved coffee...You CAN do it! Budget and convenience is usually why we all eat the way we do! I am still planning on the Ukrainian version soon!

Anonymous said...

I am starting an apple fast soon, but for skin reasons and not purely dietary ones. Only peeled red delicious for me for three days with all the water I can drink...and a "colonic" (that just sounds better than the alternative words).

Keep up the detox posts...they are fascinating- I want to hear more on your multi-colored tongue!