Friday, November 7, 2008

Flashback Friday

There is a challenge floating out there to post referral pictures. I'm always happy for an excuse to share cute pictures of my kids!


Here is Marina's referral picture. She is 5 1/2 months old. My apologies to the folks who had to endure 3 months of pushing this same photo in your faces, but look at this way, you've had almost a four year break! We also had a video. The video is better, but now we have no VHS player, so we need to see about getting it converted to DVD. When we went to pick Marina up, an earlier photo was also given to us--around two months old--but it is even smaller and you can't see much of her face.


No referral picture for Cara! When we drove down to south Texas, our worker Denise, had not yet been able to visit the baby. All she could tell us was that, "she heard she was beautiful." That was a true rumor if ever there was one. Someone (social workers? nurses?) snapped a poor quality Polaroid picture of her at birth, that I saw the night we met C.C., but there was only one, and I taped it to the inside of our birthmom book. I'm glad I did! I remember being embarrassed that she had such a crummy photo, and felt sure that we would bring her a whole stack of wonderful pictures the next day to replace it. But by the next day, she was gone. Here is the first picture we took of her with our camera. Notice how big the newborn binky looks compared to her head. She was so little!
The earliest photos of the rest are sonogram, and they pretty much all look the same :0). Funny side note: The Christmas we were waiting for Marina, was emotionally tough for me. I made an ornament with her referral picture and hung in on the tree--symbolic of my hope that she would soon be with us in person. Every year when we trim the tree, I let Marina hang her special ornament (Yes, it still brings a tear to my eye!) And every year one of the older [birth] kids will whine with jealousy, "Where's my referral picture? Why don't I have a referral picture?"

6 comments:

Tami said...

Both of those pictures (and girls) are absolutely precious. Isn't it amazing how God grows the love for them through something as simple as a picture? I watched Alek's video over and over and over so many times (before we traveled) that I finally wore it out and had to have the agency send me another copy! :)
BTW - You may want to just check around in your congregation to see if someone could make that DVD for you. Its pretty simple - no reason to have someone charge you for it. If need be, we could do it. But you'd have to travel to Wyoming to have it done! :)

Bones said...

What an amazing story. Your babies are precious!

Deb said...

LOL! Your kids crack me up.

I have a VHS to DVD player that I can record it for you, but sadly it's broken. I need to get it fixed. Let me know if you find no one and we can do it for you once it's fixed.

Anonymous said...

Precious photos!

junglemama said...

Awww, how precious!

S and K said...

Oh my goodness, so beautiful! Oh, that NICU pic makes me tear up a bit!

Praying for you all and soooo bummed we didn't get to stop in Texas on the way home. We made a VERY fast trek home to get to the doctor here!!

Ha! The joy of traveling cross country with 4 kids!

We're thinking about another trip just to see our Texas friends in December, I'll keep ya posted.

How's life otherwise??? Just got caught up on quite a few posts I missed! You really crack me up and I really need to meet you in person!