Tuesday, November 4, 2008

In His Considered Opinion

My oldest is an odd duck. Take these two conversations from this afternoon for example:

I was comforting Randy in the kitchen. He has been clingy and wanting lovins throughout his sickness. I was the same way as a child. I used to beg Mom and Daddy to come sit next to me when I was sick, and I remarked how Randy and I shared that trait.
K: That is the opposite from me. I prefer to be left alone when I am sick.
This was the latest of a long series of, "I like to be alone" statements, and I said, "You seem to be mentioning that a lot lately. You want to be alone to eat. You want to be alone when you read. Now you want to be alone when you are sick?"
K (remember he is only nine years old): Mother. I am the oldest of six siblings. I am never alone. It is perfectly natural that I should feel this way.
Allrighty then.

While discussing with Abby that I hoped by using a professional upholstery cleaner we would be able to save the couch from Randy's Heavin' Siege of 2008.
K from the dining room: Perhaps in light of recent mishaps, we should offer the love seat alone when seating guests.
Again, he is NINE years old.

I am either raising a brilliant therapist, the next Emily Post, or one heck of a good hermit here.

2 comments:

Deb said...

LOL! I'm voting brilliant therapist.
I love the rational behind the never bring alone.

Anonymous said...

I still remember when you could get your eldest as an infant to simply lie down and pat him firmly and presto! Insta-sleep. I also remember being very dismayed when that didn't happen for me with my first.