Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Post Placement Visit

Our post-placement visit went very well. They arrived about two hours early (that seems to be a recurring theme with our social workers), but we were good. Not one to make the same mistake twice, I'd mopped the floor FIRST this time. ;0) We weren't sure how long it would take them to drive from Houston here, so it was probably our fault. We over estimated. But, it gave us time to visit with them (two ladies from our agency came), before the second shift of kiddos got home from school.
I have to say this again...I love our agency!!! This will sound so cliche, but they truly do seem like members of the family. The conversation was easy and not forced, as it often was with agency #1. That is due, I think, in a large part to everyone at this agency being mothers themselves. In Marina's adoption NOT ONE person we dealt with--U.S. side or Russian--was a parent. Yesterday, I was chatting with women who have been in the trenches. The director, Jan, raised six kids. All adopted at birth, five with special needs. The other lady who came is Ann, she and her husband have raised 15! I believe birth and adopted, with most of their adoptions coming from the foster care program. I would have loved to just sit and pick their brains all evening. Much wisdom could be gleaned from them, I am sure. Mostly, though, we talked about how Cara was doing and how we were all adjusting. Then the older kids came home, and praise be, everyone behaved well, with their good manners. My kids can be very charming and entertaining. They get that from their dad.
We all had a lovely dinner. Yes, I served them dinner, Christine. I didn't have to, but like I said, it was really as though some of our great aunts had dropped in for the evening, and I wanted them to share a meal with us. I feel so much love and thankfulness for these people. They matched us with Cara and have STOOD BY US, despite her diagnosis. There have been no, "Well, the risks were clearly explained to you..." speeches, just love and support. They have worked countless hours to ensure Cara benefits from every service possible, and all without pay. The director has told us that our account is considered paid in full. We only paid $750. We will have to pay court costs, if we are allowed to finalize, but still that is an amazing, generous, miraculous, gift. I hope I am not stealing their reward, but I feel as though I must sing their praises. They are very special ladies--all of them. Our worker from the adoption, Denise, did not get to come, but we will see her the first week in December when we go to the agency Christmas party.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Glad all went well...

CDJ said...

Plus on mopping first!
What's that old saying, "Show up early once, shame on you...show up early twice..."?
All mopping aside, we've been [sick] free since Monday night. Do we have clearance to put something on the planner??

Tami said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deb said...

I'm so glad you found this agency. They sound marvelous.

So glad it went well. Our court costs are $1300. But I know most of that is lawyer fees and not court fees. If I had taken the time to find our own I know it might have been less.