Saturday, May 9, 2009

Tractor Birthday

The tractor party came off without a hitch. Hardy, har, har. I'm so witty.
I think three years is about the perfect age for a party. Even if you aren't in to big theme parties, you should try to swing one for that magical third year. I have special memories of K's Thomas birthday (we rode a real train with 15 of his closest friends), Abby's Strawberry Shortcake party (complete with stand-up Strawberry), and Ian's Farm Birthday (Petting zoo). Now Marina did not really possess that ability to form connections between the occasion and the celebration until a little later. Also, at three, she was still highly susceptible to over stimulation and a big hoopla would not have been fun for her or anyone else. Consequently, we went all out for her four year old birthday (Hello Kitty). Yes, these events are BIG WORK, but their new awareness and anticipation that all the fuss is for their special day is quite gratifying. It does a mommy good. Randy was SO excited all week, going on and on about his "tractor party" (pronounced 'paw-tea'). He greeted each new item with squeals of delight and rapture. It just made my heart melt when he clapped his hands over the party favors crying, "These tractors for my FIENDS!" (friends).
Well I know you are dying to see some pics, so here they are:
For the tractor, I used a Wilton cake pan Grandma found at a garage sale. I viewed many adorable tractor theme cakes online, most of which were too elaborate for me to pull off, but great for ideas. Since I knew the tractor alone would not feed my crowd, I adapted a few of them for a trailer (loaf pan and cupcake "tire")and hay (toasted coconut) bales (also cupcakes.)
We rented this train for the master to pull the kids around with our lawn tractor. It wasn't bad--only $40.00. Of course, the men got together and decided that for the next birthday, we could make one of our own. Who knows how much that will cost??!! But I tell you what, the kids didn't get tired of it, no matter how many times they rode.
The local party supply shops carried J*hn Deere themed party ware, but at prices like $4.50 for 8 plates. Debbie suggested trying W*llM*rt, but I checked both of our area stores and didn't find anything. I couldn't see spending that much on stuff we were going to eat on once and throw away, so I went with green and yellow supplies from Just A Dollar. It made for a cute table at a considerably cheaper price. I ended up splurging on the favors. Each guest got a small tractor from Tractor Supply, a J*hn Deere fruit snack, and a balloon.
And a fun time was had by all!

1 comment:

Tami said...

What fun!!! That cake idea was brilliant! We haven't done the big party for any of the kids except Alek. By the time the other three came along I was too tired - and too far away from family to pull it off. I really do need to try and do something special for Anya's birthday this year - especially since she'll be back with all her girlfriends in the Emerald City.