Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hanging Out at the Hotel

Hip, hip, hooray for the master's laptop! I'm getting to blog on vacation--pure luxury I tell you. It is nice and quiet in our hotel room, the master having taken Randy, Ian, Abby, and K down to the pool for an evening dip. Marina--having missed her nap--was toast at 6:00. So, I had her lay down, and two seconds later she had drool running down her mouth, fast asleep. We decided to let her try to catch up on her rest instead of waking her for the pool party. Vacations are still very tough on her. Cara, too is way behind in the shut eye department; she is conked out in the pack-and-play beside me. I believe I will just have to join them as soon as I post.
Yesterday we hit the Museum of N*tural History in Houst*n. I had fond memories of visiting from childhood, but of course much changed in 20 years. For one thing, it is much smaller! And, as I wouldn't have known anything about PAYING for things as a kid, it seemed much more expensive. It cost the same for us to get in the museum for one day as your "typical American family" pays for a season pass. The really interesting exhibits required special tickets ($$$$), so we only bought the extra passes for K and the master to go see the Chinese Terra Cotta Warriors on display. K was desperate to see those because they were featured in a recent issue of his Disc*very Kids M*gazine. All that to say, the kids loved it, but I was a little disappointed.
Today's visit to Cara's hospital and subsequent trip to the Tex*s State Aqu*rium was great though!
Man did going back to that hospital bring on the memories! I know it has not yet been a year, but it seems like an eternity. As we got off the elevator on the third floor NICU, a lump actually came up in my throat. And then it was wonderful to see the staff and nurses who took such great care of my baby, I thanked them all again. They all exclaimed over how big she has grown and how beautiful she is. I even got a picture with her social worker for her book. I had not thought to get a photo during her three week stay last summer, so I was excited that we managed to visit while she was on the floor and available.
Uh-oh, here come the water babies, more later.

2 comments:

Deb said...

How neat that you got to visit the hospital and everyone there during your vacation. So glad you got that picture. It will be great for Cara to have that in her book.

Sounds like you are all having a great time on vacation. Have a safe trip home.

Suz said...

Sounds like a fun time. So I take it y'all are already out of school??

Daria's not out till next Tuesday!

Have fun!