Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Franciscan Prayer

What a wonderful prayer to pray over your children:

May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths and superficial relationships so that you may live deep within your heart.

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression and exploitation of people so that you may work for justice, freedom and peace.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer pain, rejection, hunger and war so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain into joy.

And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in the world so that you can do what others claim cannot be done to bring justice and kindness to all our children and the poor.

6 comments:

Deb said...

That's great!

ArtworkByRuth said...

And not only for our children! Me too please! May we never forget the bumps are to refine and not everything we experience is soley for our own benefit!

Amber Benge said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't wait to read more about you and your family! :) God bless you!

outdoor.mom said...

Wow! Thats Powerful :-) I feel inspired. Thanks!!!
Last night I watched Dennis the Menace Christmas Movie - Don't ask me why, but that prayer reminds me a little of it. It was a good movie for kids to watch.
Thanks for your nice comment on my wreath :-) I look forward to getting to know you.

Suz said...

Don't kill me . . . I tagged you! Check my blog for the 'structions. C'mon, play along!

Anonymous said...

I like St. Francis so much that this little gem just put me over the top and in the mood to buy one of those little birdfeeders with him on it and stick it in the garden. Have you ever read The Practice of the Presence of God? It is not by St. Francis, but the writing is just as thought provoking.