Thursday, September 25, 2008

Preschool Grief Therapy

As an update on the dachshund situation. Our new improved fence did not hold the escape artists. At two a.m. Saturday morning, there was a knock at our door. It was a neighbor who had not gotten any sleep because of our dogs. They had treed a possum in her back yard and had been yipping incessantly for hours. We held the dogs in the garage until about 6:00 am, and then the master took them to their new homes.
I thought the girls were taking it pretty well. We distracted Abby with a trip that morning to her best friend's house. Who needs dogs when you have a bosom companion? Marina joined us on the outing, and as far as I could tell, both girls were sufficiently recovered from their initial upset.
Little did I know...
Flash forward three days. Marina comes home from school with the exciting news that after an entire month of waiting, she had finally experienced the joy and privilege of being "The Leader." For days, she had been watching her clothespin move closer and closer to that much coveted place of honor, "Just four more days, Momma, and I am d' leader"..."I count three days till I am d' leader." The leader gets to pass out papers. The leader is first in line. AND the leader gets to dictate the class's daily journal entry during circle time. I did the same thing when I taught kindergarten. Apparently, Marina's teacher also asks the leader how they are feeling and records their response as a face beside their name. Scroll down to see what Marina pulled out of her back-pack on Tuesday.



Ask me if I feel like dirt.

4 comments:

Tami said...

Aw honey! You didn't have a choice. It had to be done. These moments do make you feel like dirt, though, don't they? We had the same thing happen a couple of years ago with our dauschund. (I can never spell that word! :) We had to give her away because she had a weak bladder and would have accidents anytime she got excited - which was ALL the time. The kids STILL talk about Sadie.

Tami said...

Oops. Pushed publish too soon. I forgot to add that the family who took Sadie moved to Georgia and when the remants of a hurricane went through there last year the kids were glued to the weather channel because they were worried about poor Sadie! Talk about dirt.

CDJ said...

I'm so sad for Marina, but I'm pleased that she was able to voice her feelings. That's important, huh? She can come love on "yappy", I mean "Oscar" anytime. I have a dog and you don't??? What has the world come to? Thanks again for Saturday!

Deb said...

Poor thing. I hope she gets over it soon. It's never fun to see a pet go away.
I love the header. Looks great.