Sunday, September 28, 2008

Birth Order Musings

I'm finishing up Dr. Lehman's book, The Birth Order Book. While I'd heard this and that regarding birth order before, it was good to read a thorough work on the subject. It was most helpful for me in understanding the two major "first-borns" in my life--the master and K. If your spouse is a first born or last born, I would definitely recommend reading this book.
I am not first born, but since my older sister is seven years older, I exhibit many first born tendencies. Unfortunately, first borns tend to always think their way is the right way, and it is their job to convince everyone else to see it their way. You can see how this can be problematic in marriage!
A neat statistic that Dr. Lehman brought out was that 80% of pastors are first born and another 10% are the first born males in their families. Only 10% are middle born and babies. I guess it makes sense that they develop a natural affinity for helping people along in life. I think of how often K serves as a kind of shepard--patiently herding kids one direction or another.
Speaking of K, Reading the chapter on compliant first borns was eerie when I applied it to my oldest son. Dr. Lehman could have used his picture in the margin with the words, "Exhibit A." He fits exactly. First borns tend to expect perfection--from themselves and others--so they can be prone to depression as adults when they and the people they love fail to live up to their ideal. I learned that, with K, it will be important for us to be transparent when we make mistakes and fail. The worse we mess up, the better. WOW! That takes the pressure off, doesn't it? He needs to see that God forgives us, we forgive ourselves, and we forgive each other. For years I've wondered why K had such a hard time making decisions. He would agonize over any and every choice. Silly stuff, like, "K, do you want Cheerios, or Shredded Wheat?" I must admit, after waiting several minutes for his answer, I often found myself blurting out, "Just pick something already!!" The Birth Order Book helped me see that it isn't that he doesn't know what he wants, it is that he is afraid he will make a bad/wrong decision. The first born is often paralyzed by this fear, which seems so foreign to me. Again, very helpful to see things from the first born's perspective.
There is less in the book regarding middle borns. SEE??!! We're always left out. Family photo albums are just the beginning....Nah, as I said, while I am the middle child of my family, I showed up seven year's later (any age difference of more than five years, will affect birth order traits--so says Lehman). Also I came on the scene after a four year battle with infertility, so I made a pretty good showing in the family album. My younger sister, Jen, is the one with the sore spot on number of photos. One thing that I'd never thought about before was that middle children often make more friends and put a far greater investment into these relationships than first or last borns. This was very true for me growing up. From the time I was a little girl, I had a large, close circle of friends that I was always out doing things with. Both of my sister's had maybe one or two good friends and rarely went out, which always struck me as strange. I had no idea that this tendency was somehow linked to my birth order. Middle born children are also extremely loyal to these relationships, that is what makes them good spouses. And, they are the ones that are the first to break away from the family and start independent lives (I married the master at 19).
I garnered the least amount of helpful information on last borns. But as I started to analyze my family and friends, I realized that I am close to few babies of the family. My younger sister and I, born 16 months apart, were raised as virtual "twins," so maybe that accounts for why she exhibits more middle-born tendencies than baby tendencies. And my sister-in-law (the baby), is more of a perfectionist than the master! Personality wise, she is a dead ringer for a first born. It could be my small sample size, but it was definitely with the last borns that I saw the most discrepancy in his theory. I do see what he calls "baby" tendencies with Ian and Randy, but I think that comes from my babying of them! This is his list of general baby characteristics:
"manipulator, charming, blames others, attention seeker, tenacious, people person, natural salesperson, precocious, engaging, affectionate, loves surprises."

So what do you think? Are you a last born? Know any last borns? Is he off, or am I?

3 comments:

Suz said...

"manipulator, charming, blames others, attention seeker, tenacious, people person, natural salesperson, precocious, engaging, affectionate, loves surprises."


I am a last born, the baby and I don't think I fit many of those tendancies - do you think so? I don't think I am precocious, I was a late bloomer, playing barbies in secret till I was 13!

I am affectionate. But I don't love surprises, I'm soooo not a salesperson. Maybe I can be engaging, but it doesn't come naturally since I'm basically shy. I hope I'm not manipulating and I don't think I'm charming. I don't think I regularly blame others, that's a character trait that irks me! I'm not naturally a people person, but I can fake it till I make it on that one. I'm also not an attention seeker.

I'm wondering if this guy is a first born? I would think that my sister would assign some of these traits to me. The majority of those traits are negative.

Maybe a trait they should list is denial??

Hubby and I are both last borns and our marriage works!

Megan said...

I am the middle child, but there are only 15 months seperating my older brother and I.

I don't see myself fitting the description of the middle child.

The whole first born deal not being able to choose anything because they are afraid of making the wrong choice - that sounds more like me.

Cari did mention that the book spoke of a role reversal where the 2nd child took the place as the first born (or something?). Maybe that's the case for my brother and I. But not incredibly sure.

All i know is i am very independent, indecisive, hard on myself (and others), find it hard to make friends, and yeah...

I don't know what i think about the book. It is always interesting for me to hear those statistics and findings though.

I'm glad it has helped out with you and your relationship with your family... better understanding each other.

Have a great day! Megan

Deb said...

Interesting stuff.
My dad was a pastor and he was the first born.
My brother is the middle child, but not the friendly outgoing type like he mentioned. But he was the first to get married (at 19).

I'm last born, I might fit 1 or 2 of those listed.