Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Backwards Night

The master has been gone for the last two days to youth camp. Hence, my performance in the culinary arts drastically declined during the past 48 hours. I just do not see the point of laboring in the kitchen for children who scarf up PB&J better than anything. You know, "cast ye not pearls before swine," and all. Today's lunch was hot dogs and tonight we had breakfast for supper. The banana bread came out of the oven first, right as the kids were starting to ask, "When's dinner?" I told them they could have a slice of warm bread while I fried the bacon and scrambled eggs. They said it was a double backwards night because, not only did we have breakfast for supper, but they were eating their "dessert" before their meal.
Backwards Night was one of our very first family nights and an instant favorite. The kids have asked for it repeatedly over the years. They come up with some pretty fun ideas about how to turn normal life to the opposite. I love Backwards Night, because the kids get the BIGGEST kick out of it, and it cost zero dollars.
When they realized that tonight's meal was backwards, they begged to finish off the evening in the traditional manner. It wasn't an official family night without dad (and it is customary on Backwards Night for the children to cook the meal), but I agreed. The kids read a chapter out of our bedtime book to me, supervised my evening tooth brushing, sang me lullabies, tucked me into bed and kissed my forehead. Then over the next 10 minutes, put themselves to bed quickly and quietly.
Did I mention I love Backwards Night?

1 comment:

Tami said...

What a FUN idea! I'm going to have to swipe it for our familiy. We do the breakfast for supper thing...but adding the rest sounds like fun!