Sunday, June 20, 2010

In Celebration of Ignorance

I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you to my daddy and my husband. Running a daycare is a learning experience. But not everything I'm learning is new. Rather, it is being intimately involved with so many families--learning who they are, how they work, what they struggle with--that is confirming ideas and concepts I've always believed in theory. One of those cliches I'm discovering is actually an irrefutable law: Children need a father.
So, I want to thank my daddy for giving me a childhood where that maxim of truth was irrelevant to me. For allowing me the immeasurable gift of ignorance and innocence. By committing to my mother. By providing for our family. By loving me lavishly and unconditionally--and telling me so. By taking us to the Lord's house and in turn, giving Him the place of honor in our home.
Do you have any idea how rare that is?
I am most blessed among children.
And to my husband, thank you for continuing this legacy of unenlightenment. That even though our children--with tender hearts--grieve for their friends and companions when they talk of "divorce," "custody agreements," and "court ordered visits" (and yes, little children know and use these words), it is sorrow mixed with bewilderment. They have no personal experience on which to understand these things. Pray God they never do. Even from the beginning--when you could have so easily walked away--you've stuck by me and been my true helpmate in loving and raising these children.
Do you have any idea how rare that is?
I am most blessed among mothers.

4 comments:

CDJ said...

very sweet. great post:)

Carla said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post! I totally agree.

Kathy said...

Loved this!!!

Deb said...

Such a heartfelt post. Beautiful. Such a great reminder to appreciate my husband and family everyday.