Friday, January 8, 2010

Sunnys*de Kids and Various Asundry

I've limped over from the center and am now waiting--exhausted--for the master to return from W*llmart with hot dogs. When he arrives, we will top them with the homemade chili he prepared earlier in the week. The master makes an excellent Mr. Mom. I make a so-so business owner.
I'm just tired and discouraged. Things are going well, but it is hard work and long hours. I found out that I'm licensed for 58. That's ALOT of kids. Right now, I have 11 counting my own. That may not sound like much, but I'm working alone (not strictly true as the master has been coming on his lunch break to get the meal on the table and clean up afterwards) and I have two babies. It feels like a 110! My first employee joins me next Monday. I think the load will be much lightened at that point, if I can just hold on till then. Of course, it also means that most of the tuition will be going to make payroll, at least for now.
I guess since Christmas is over I should change my blogskin, but I haven't an ounce of creativity left to tackle it.
And if I ever get my doctorate in early childhood education, I'm going to title my thesis: "America's Feral Generation." Just so you know.

3 comments:

Suz said...

Oh I'm sorry you're so pooped. David and I were talking and wondering how things were going and he asked if you had an assistant.

Surely things will get better with time.

So, when you say 11 counting your own is that all 6 of your own or C & R?

Anonymous said...

Wow- at the place where I work the ratio allowed is nine children to one caregiver (1-2 yrs). I had 13 last semester with a poor helper teacher (basically a body to satisfy ratio). It was very stressful...I'm sure yours is way worse!

Kelly said...

Hang in there, sis. I love you and I believe in what you are doing.