Monday, April 5, 2010

Pillow Case Dresses





Wanted to post the kids' Easter pictures. I'm so proud of how the girls' dresses turned out. Mom bought the pillowcases from a vintage linens dealer in Canton, and I sewed them into dresses for the little girls. You can't see it in the picture, but the bottom of Cara's dress is delicately embroidered with a floral pattern. So pretty! Makes me want to go back to Canton and buy that lady out. The pillowcases were pretty yellowed, and one had a bad rust stain on it, but after Mom soaked them in a special solution the dealer recommended, they were gleaming white.
I made Abby's dress, too, but not out of a pillow case. You just don't have quite enough material in a pillow case to cut a dress for a nine year old. At least, not one suitable for wearing to church.

6 comments:

CDJ said...

you are WAY talented, huh??
precious kiddos.
You should stop by Megan's blog and see what her dad said about his Easter shirt...I'd bet your boys could sympathize:):)
VERY HANDSOME family!!!!

Kathy said...

Ditto to what Cari posted...I love the dresses. What a great idea!

Deb said...

Adorable. I wanted to make a pillowcase dress for Isabel's birthday but never found the time. But it wouldn't have looked this pretty. Silly question I know, with your talent. Did you follow a pattern? I've never seen one with sleeves and I love it.

bearie1 said...

Dresses are beautiful. Great idea and great job! Elaine

Tami said...

They are SO cute!!!!! The dresses too. ;)

ArtworkByRuth said...

Wow! What a great idea, of course it also takes skill to pull it off! You are simply fabulous!