Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Different Point of View

I've been told I'm "better" (as in, "You're a better woman than me.") I've been told I'm a glutton for punishment. I've been told I'm sexually ignorant (in that I must not know what keeps causing this.) Strangers have regarded me as a freak of nature in "that no normal person could manage." Often, people have insisted that I am certifiably insane. But never--with regards to our family size--has anyone stated, implied, accused or even hinted that I possessed this character trait. Until today.
The master preached tonight at an assisted living prayer service. In an effort to preserve our precious family time, we joined him. As we filed into the community room:
Old lady 1: Oh, my he's brought his family with him.
Old lady 2: That can't be his family. He's brought the children's choir.
Old lady 1:You must be right....1..2..3...4..5...6. Are those children yours?
Me: Yes, ma'm
Old lady 1: All of them?
Me: Yes, ma'm.
Old lady 1: All six of them? Really?

Inwardly, I'm sighing, because if there is one place--no, two places--I expect (hope for?) a little break is with the older generation and brothers and sisters in Christ. It didn't seem as if I was going to get that here, and these folks were both. I mentally prepared a half dozen witty responses, flashed my biggest smile, and braced myself for the worst.

Me: Yes, ma'm all six.
Old lady: Six children! Think of it! Don't you feel selfish having six, when all mine are up and gone away from me?

And looking around at six beautiful faces singing hymns at the nursing home prayer meeting, I did feel mighty selfish indeed.

2 comments:

Carla said...

That's too funny! It's been my experience w/elderly people that they always have a way of bringing the subject back to them. Even when discussing you & your family. Somehow, their response to the conversation will almost always reflect some aspect of their life.

Hey! You deserve the right to feel selfish. All of you're hard work & endurance ought to be good for some sort of positive self-satisfaction!

ArtworkByRuth said...

I work with the elderly and they are simply wonderful at times.Then again they all came mostly of families of 8 so six isn't even enough at times! I knew we would always have at least two kids, because watching everyone age, after everyone passes on, all you have left is your extended family. An only child is a lonely child!