Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Traditions

Some random Christmas tradtions for our home:

*Three presents--The children each have three presents under the the tree. Three gifts, because the Christ child only had three gifts. The other day, Abby asked if they could have more than three (actually they get a Santa present, plus the TONS of gifts from extended family) since they had been very good this year, and I told her that as soon as they deserved more presents than Jesus, they could have more than He had. They laughed, "Awww, Mom, that will NEVER happen." My point exactly.
*This one developed just by chance. One year, I ran out of name tags. I wrap each child's gift in a certain wrapping paper (i.e. all of Ian's gifts are wrapped in the red ornament paper, Marina's in the green tree paper, etc.). I cut a little square of paper and adhere it to a poster next to their names. We don't have to spend time searching for the name on Christmas morning. We know at a glance whose is whose. This year, I'm keeping the decoder poster top secret. They don't know which paper is theirs. It has been fun hearing them discuss the possibilities, "I think mine is the purple Santa paper." "Maybe K has the snowmen paper." They will have much harder time guessing their gifts.
*Holiday hookie--I let the children stay home from school and do holiday baking. This is a tradition I grew up with. It was always a favorite, because any other time of year, my mother was a stickler for school attendance. I felt so special being at home when I wasn't sick.

4 comments:

Chaos and Grace said...

I always enjoy hearing about your holiday traditions. Last year we started doing the 3 presents thing, and I love it. This year I heard Jonathan explaining it to someone (why they get 3 presents).
This year's wrapping paper thing (not knowing you has which) is hilarious! You are such a creative mom!

Deb said...

I love the wrapping paper idea. I've done that by family before but still with tags. You know, going to the inlaws and such. But I really like the different paper for different people.
We're doing the 3 gifts as well.

Kathy said...

Great ideas!

Suz said...

Oh I love the idea for having different paper for each person! Love it! I'll have to remember that next year and steal that idea :O)